Posted to alt.electronics
west

Default Solar Trickle Charge

"default" wrote in message
On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:55:28 GMT, "west"
wrote:

I don't think so. They're the same large 12 batteries that have a steady
charge which lasts longer than a car battery. It's not designed to give a
huge initial surge current (to start a car or ?). More like regular
batteries that can take a charge. I wish I knew their name. I guess

that's
why I posted in the first place.

west

You are describing a deep cycle battery. Designed to provide a lot of
amp hours of capacity, but not constructed to start a motor (although
they do that too - and can outlast regular car batteries)

I'm using a pair of Eagle Picher"Carefree" batteries (sealed
lead-acid) I've had since 1992 for hurricanes. They were made for
Minn Kota trolling motors and were sold as surplus. A pair of old 1
amp solar panels and a charge controller that was in the Amateur Radio
Handbook (shunt regulator built around a LM723).

I only run a TV, Radio, some lighting, and aquarium pumps with it.

News==----

Newsgroups

=----

That's what I'm looking for, Default. Do you have your panels in parallel?
What kind are they (voltage, name, etc.)? Also, would you happen to remember
the Amateur Handbook's year? Thank you.

west