Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default AjaxCNC mill retrofit questions

On 19 Nov 2005 22:25:36 GMT, Donnie Barnes
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov, Eric R Snow wrote:
I have done a retrofit with the Ajax stuff. It works well. There were
a couple problems with their documentation, and a couple times I was
not able to get an answer about some specific workings of the control.
I really needed to talk to one of their engineers. If I was to do it
again today Ajax would still be my choice. It is NOT a plug and play
solution. Beacuse each machine is different it really can't be. So the
instructions are fairly general. But if you have a basic understanding
of electricity you should be able to do it in about 80 hours. A good

Wow. 80 hours? What part of it takes so long?

source for encoders is US Digital. Cheaper than Ajax. If you want to
talk on the phone e-mail me and I'll send you my number or send me
your number. Did the Boss 8 machines use servos? I know the earlier
ones used steppers.

DC Servos...and pretty decent ones, from what I can tell.

Thanks for the voice call offer...if it gets to that point I may take you
up on it. :-)

--Donnie

Donnie,
Two things added to the time stated. One, I didn't want to say you
could do it in 40 and then it takes you 50. If I say 80 then you are
pleased you were so fast. Secone, my hands don't work like they used
to so things involving manual dexterity take me longer.
ERS