Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Too_Many_Tools

Default Oh no! Buying a toolbox...

I am curious...was your Craftsman a slide or ball bearing version for
the draw slides? The failure you mention sounds like the drawer has
sheared its guide supports off.

While I have not kept current as to the offerings of HD, Lowes, Costo
or Sam's Club (all of which I would check into before spending money
again), the offerings of Sears are hard to beat for price/performance
when you get the significant discounts in the scratch and dent
sections.

I have always gone with the ball bearing slides of the regular series
and the 26" width types. Please note that the Professional series have
ball bearing slides that are twice as wide and I would buy them for
this feature if doing it again. I also limit myself to the 26" wide
drawers to minimize racking and limit total weight per drawer....if you
need more space one can always buy two 26" units and mount them on a
combined base. If you really need a wider drawer, one can combine the
different units to have different widths. As a matter of habit, I
replace the standard casters with much better ones with larger wheels
for easier rolling. Realize that there is an upper limit as to how much
weight should be in a tool box...having hundreds and hundreds of pounds
of weight on casters is not safe if it gets away from you.

I assume that since your tools are sitting in a pile that you want a
replacement toolbox NOW. If you can wait, there are values in the used
market but as like used cars, there is the effort to separate the wheat
from the chaff.

TMT