Posted to uk.d-i-y
Nick H

Default After removing a chimney breast

Stuart Noble Wrote:
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Mikey" writes:

I've had a chimney breast removed on 2 floors of my house by a
builder,
we've had to leave the chimney stack in place as it's a conservation
area so
have supported the stack with RSJs. The builder hasn't patched up the
ceiling yet so when I look up I can see daylight through both chimney
pots.
What is normal practice after removing chimney breasts, should I ask
the
builder to put cowls on the chimney to stop the rain dropping in?

That's probably a good idea as in this case it would directly wet the
ceiling. However, the flues _must_ remain vented top _and_ bottom,

In theory. In practice I think it's normal to shove rockwool up the
flue
and seal the bottom

You can get terracota pots to sit in the top of the chimney pots that
will stop rain getting in but still vent the flue, they are like a
round "plug" with holes around the sides.
You should leave the bottom of the flue open.

--
Nick H