Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Vice alignment questions

Karl,

While I have no intention of using a torque wrench on a regular basis,
could some kind soul either give me a ballpark torque, or use a torque
wrench to measure what "feels right"? Given a number, I can use a torque
wrench to get a feel for what I should be doing on this end.

My guess is 50 - 70 ft lbs. I just pull tight with a 12" wrench, never use a
torque wrench.

Understood and thanks. Actually, I am starting to suspect that new
bolts are simply not adequate. I do not have these problems with the
clamping kit, which I used extensively just yesterday.

Is there a particular bolt and/or finish type I should get?

Bill