Karl Townsend

Default GLOAT and what's P20 tool steel

I just bought the entire tool steel inventory at a mold making shop
auction. 1000 lbs. of 4140, A2, D2, H13, S7, 420 stainless, O1, W1
and P20. Also about 2000 lbs. of 1018 and Cold Rolled and 1000 lbs.
of Aluminum, several grades.

I've looked up all the steels in my "Heat treatment, selection, and
application of TOOL STEELS" book. P20 heat treat conditions are given;
harden at 1525 F oil quench. As hardened Rc is listed as 51. The book
also includes a table of tempering results. But no where in the book
is there any info on what application to use this steel for. Anyone
know?

Karl