Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble

Default After removing a chimney breast

Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
"Mikey" writes:

I've had a chimney breast removed on 2 floors of my house by a builder,
we've had to leave the chimney stack in place as it's a conservation area so
have supported the stack with RSJs. The builder hasn't patched up the
ceiling yet so when I look up I can see daylight through both chimney pots.
What is normal practice after removing chimney breasts, should I ask the
builder to put cowls on the chimney to stop the rain dropping in?

That's probably a good idea as in this case it would directly wet the
ceiling. However, the flues _must_ remain vented top _and_ bottom,

In theory. In practice I think it's normal to shove rockwool up the flue
and seal the bottom