Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Brian Sharrock

Default Laser Levels - any good

"John Anderton" wrote in message
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 08:40:44 +0000, Ian White
wrote:

to get a plane not a spiral...

I'm sure numbers of people are hovering to buy, so please can we name
specific models that do (or don't) work well?

Seconded. I've been tempted by one of these for a while,

Cheers,

John

I bought a Black & Decker level laser, it 'levels' by a
pendulum system but should be hung off a nail/screw -
I have difficulty inserting an appropriate nail or screw
_exactly_ where I need it in the hard-walls of my 'thirties' house.
Although the thing self-levels there's no mechanism for
vertical (heave) adjustment - other than a different nail/screw-
might work on plasterboard where one can pepper holes.
Still: holding the thing by hand, so the laser-line projects through
the pencil mark I've previously scribed, does enable a level-line to
be marked by someone else around a room and a picture
rail married up and didn't spiral - I wouldn't buy one these
again - but having acquired it; I'll keep it 'cos it's OK for
'Quick' levelling. but IMHE - it's a two-man job.
I later, purchased a gizmo off QVC which is a tripod mounted
level (switchable) and plumb (switchable) projector.
The cross hairs and the vertical (heave) adjustment on the tripod
mean that a pencilled mark can be matched exactly and the
rotating (yaw) projector head enables a line to be marked
around a room . It's dead handy for lining up pictures, mirrors,
architrave, curtain rails etc. etc. I'd definitely recommend the use
of one of these - it permits 'one-man' to mark off a room for
tiling etc. etc.

--

Brian