Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default Oh no! Buying a toolbox...

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 20:33:23 -0800, Sunworshipper
wrote:

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 22:00:59 -0600, "B.B."
. ru wrote:

My little red craftsman tool chest finally got too overloaded. I'd
long ago reinforced the bottom and replaced the casters, and I've been
temporarily fixing the drawers when they'd fall out, but yesterday it
had a total failure. Which was actually pretty funny to watch.
It's a top chest and a bottom roll a round, 26 inches wide. Anyhoo,
I pushed in the top drawer of the bottom chest and it fell off its rails
and landed on the drawer below it. Sheared the rails of that drawer off
completely, causing the two to hit the third, and so on until all five
of the bottom drawers came crashing down to the bottom. Then the whole
mess slid forward, fell out, and with so much weight suddenly shifting
one way, the remainder of the toolbox (with top chest) went the other
way and slammed into the ground, bending basically every part of it.
I so wish I had a video of that.
But now I need to invest in a new box. To anyone who's been there
and done that, are the hideously expensive Matco/SnapOn/Mac/Etc boxes
worth the money? I investigated and I can swing the payments, but I
sure don't want to. OTOH, I know first-hand I can annihilate a
Craftsman, though they do offer the more sturdy "Craftsman Professional"
boxes with actual drawer rollers instead of stamped metal slides.
Know of any other box brands out there?
I guesstimate that little red box was holding about 600 lbs of stuff
when it died. It's most likely rolling around the halls of Valhalla
right now.

I can just imagine. I have a crapsman and it can't even handle the
loud music without buzzing, about to take a BFH to it just to see if
it will shut up.

From the prices I've seen, it would be cheaper or the same cost to
build my own and be twice as good. I've seen lots of expensive tool
boxes and they don't seem be so great for the cost.

A friend of mine makes strong tool boxes, very similar to this one...

http://www.pitboxes.com/medium.html

I can probably get you a brother-in-law price. I helped him set up
his shop with lathes and mills and whatnot as well....

http://www.genewoods.com

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner