Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

Default OT-The Lieberals are at it again

On Thu, 10 Nov 2005 05:14:00 GMT, Gunner
wrote:

Although law enforcement, security guards and others who require
weapons for work are exempt from the measure, current handgun owners
would have to surrender their firearms by April.

I find this offensive and oppressive over-government -- but I gotta
say that some of the swaggerwide gunslinger crap I read makes me
think that handgun control really is a good idea in urban areas
populated by folks who did not learn about guns while growing up other
than from what they've seen on TV and in movies.

You know, like the guy who thinks he'll be ready to deal with a rude
dork at Home Depot when he gets his CCW. We may have reached a point
where even non-criminal urban Americans really shouldn't be allowed
to bear arms because allowing them to do so presents a danger to the
general populace in urban areas -- like at Home Depot.

Ain't that a hell of a note! Drunk drivers are enough of a peril,
don't need hotdog gunslingers to add to the risk of everyday
peacetime life.

A requirement for some rigorous tactical training (at applicant
expense) and passing a situational test with popup targets before
issue of permit would make me feel a lot better. Shoot one
friendly or innocent, you flunk: buy another ticket, take the course
again ... and again, until you pass.

It ain't as easy as it looks on TV. I would certainly seek such
refresher training before I'd carry again after 40 years. It's on my
ta-do list, but not very high on the list.

The training I've found costs about as much as a good handgun. I
don't support abolitionist brainless ban because it won't work -- but
I would strongly support mandatory training in persuit of issue.