Posted to alt.home.repair
Pop

Default Adding insulation to attic

"Sasha" wrote in message
ups.com...
:I have about R-19 insulation in attic. I want to add R-30 more.
R-30
: batts in HomeDepot have paper vaopr barrier. Should I remove it
before
: adding R-30 batts over existing batss to prevent double barrier
or I
: can put them as is?
:
It's interesting lately how many responses posters can receive
and sometimes not even one of them will address the question that
was asked; at least one asnwered you so far. Sometimes everyone
only wants to give a different solution rather than answer the
questions. Oh well, that said:

If you use the paper-backed, you should use a utility knife or
something similar to slice it open here and there. You don't
have to shred it; just a few foot to three foot long slashes here
and there will be enough.
It might be cheaper, as others mentioned though, to buy
unfaced insulation - worth checking on unless it's not on sale
like the faced stuff you're looking at now or you need the facing
for some other reason like dust containment.

I'll let you be the judge on the other suggestions - blown, etc..
Keep pets & kids away while you're working with it; tough on the
lungs eyes and skin.

HTH,

PopS