Gordy

Default blue steel for carving tools?

"Bob Swinney" wrote in message news:0RyQa.52071$GL4.13037@rwcrnsc53...
Charles, why not start with material made for the task? Purchase
oil-hardening tool steel - it comes in rounds, as drill rod, or rectangular
shapes. It can be easily heat treated and resharpened as necessary. "Blue"
steel is a misnomer, although certain springs take on a blue color when heat
treated - this doesn't make them suitable for cutting tools. Do a net
search on heat treating, or similar.

Bob Swinney
"nativewoodcarving" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I am looking for a type of metal to make carving tools. I was told that
spring steel is the best and there is also one saying blue steel? What
actually is blue steel? For spring steel - would those leftspring from the
bottom of our truck for suspension works?

Thanks

Charles

I agree. Spring steel is not the steel of choice. Good tools are made
of tool steel. You can purchase small pieces of hardend tool steel
from L.S. Starrett. You may find some sizes that are what you kneed
and would not have to harden it yourself. I have made some small wood
tools from used or broken metal tools such as files, taps, drills or
lathe tools. If you know someone in a machine shop they should have a
good supply of junk tools you might be ablet to use.

Some of these tools are not the prefered material or hardness but they
are cheap (if not free) and already hardened.

Gordy