Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Donnie Barnes

Default AjaxCNC mill retrofit questions

On Sun, 20 Nov, Errol Groff wrote:
On 19 Nov 2005 15:55:52 GMT, Donnie Barnes
wrote:
I've recently acquired a Bridgeport Boss 8, pictured he

http://gallery.donniebarnes.com/cnc-mill

The drive motors and encoder plate information is he

http://www.donniebarnes.com/~djb/mill-info.txt

Looks like our R2E3 BOSS 8 which has recently given up the ghost.

This has education system tags on it and was in a school shop, too.

Hey, perhaps the electronics on mine could save yours for a while longer?
I'm certainly willing to try to keep stuff in good shape and could ship it
all to you once I remove it if you're interested. I'm in NC. Where are
you?

I would like to do a retrofit on ours but our school system would
rather tell us why we can't buy a new machine for many $$$$$$$$
instead of spending $$$ on a retrofit.

Sounds typical.

I may be able to get the machine declared scrap and claim if for
myself then retro it out of my pocket. But that could lead to a
problem if I keep it in the school shop. I will have to see what
happens. It seems a shame that a machine with the flaking still
clearly visible on the ways is sitting unused because of dead
electronics.

Well, I don't know what state my electronics are in, but I'd be willing to
ship you what I have once I get it ripped apart.

Don, on Monday I can take pictures of our machine's Y axis motor
mount and post if for you. Probably in the Dropbox.

I've made a note to do this, but if you get to it first, have at it. I
probably can't do it before Monday, either.

--Donnie