Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Material Recommendation?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 17:56:55 -0600, "Snag"
wrote:

schnipp

That'll be 2 Coors twice and eight bucks for Snarl . The link itself is
worth more than that !!

A bargain at twice th' price, eh g.

Actually , two feet of 4140 (1" and inch a quarter) and a foot of 1" ampco
18 cost me less than the bushing set . Part of the reason I'm making them is
because the studs were worn , and I turned them down just to clean-up ,
rears at .699" and fronts are .674" now . The other part is the personal
satisfaction of saying I did it myself ...

Ok, that I'll buy. Looks like they were pretty hammered. Any sign of
grease in/on them when ya disassembled it?

Got the set for the sprung leg almost made already , just gotta turn a few
thou offa the outside to get a .001" tight press fit . I'll hone them a bit
after they're pressed in for final fit . Got the others roughed on the same
piece of stock , just a few passes with a boring bar and finish size the
outside . Do you know if the studs were originally case-hardened ? These
seemed pretty soft , machined easily , but they were worn .

I can't say with 100% accuracy, but I'd bet they were. In any event,
you definately want th' studs harder than th' bushings. And they
should be hit with a grease gun every 1,000 miles. I check clearances
on my rocker studs every winter just to be sure.

Got a new top race coming , I think that'll be everything but the balls -
I'm taking your advice on that one.

A good way to prolong steering neck bearing life is to not always park
with th' front end flopped over in th' same position... usually
pointed left. Alternate how you angle th' front wheel when parked,
there's a lot of static weight and wear if it's always th' same.

My goal for this winter is to get that
chassis rollin' - maybe then I'll be more motivated to get it finished .
Been sitting out there since '98 , way too long .

Hey, at least yer still playin' with it and having some fun... nothing
wrong there.

Snarl... thanks for th' coldbeers g