Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Default Graphite grease: yeild to lithium?

Mike,

As you may know, you can make your own graphite grease by mixing dry
graphite with ordinary grease, if you have a local source for the
graphite.

I didn't know that; I probably can get the graphite, though I can just
as easily go with the vendor I've found for the grease. I do have to
ask what is meant by "ordinary grease" though. A few weeks ago, I'd
have read right over that, but having seen so many base types, the world
isn't that simple anymore ~:0

Another way is to add enough graphite to STP oil treatment
until it forms a stiff paste. In my opinion this works even better for
many uses, but in case of doubt I would follow the machine builder's
recommendation.

No offense to the guy at Best Line, I don't think they have a strong
opinion, or if they do, I haven't found the person who knows the reason.

Thanks!

Bill