Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Dave Liquorice

Default Laser Levels - any good

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:57:42 GMT, DavidM wrote:

There seem to be quite a few in the diy sheds. Do they produce a
thin enough line for decent accuracy (2mm),

The £20 one with leveling base and tripod I have has aline width of
about 2mm but also a narrow dark line down the middle.

and how easy are they for getting a true vertical or horizontal?

Verticals still use a plumb bob but project that onto the wall with
the laser. Probably not much of an issue in a modern plasterboarded
box with flat walls but one of our bedroom walls is so bowed that to
get the 6' plumb line to hang freely it had to be at the end of a 2"
nail at the top and the weight was 4" away from the wall, the line
just clear of the bulge... The laser made it a doddle to accurately
transfer the vertical to the wall.

The accuracy of the bubbles and ease of use of the leveling head
leaves a little to be desired but to put a line around a room for a
border or dado rail it's worth spending the time as you are guaranteed
to get a plane not a spiral...

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail