Posted to rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

Default OT dangerous dogs

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 08:08:38 GMT, Bob Martin wrote:

in 1249707 20051118 191003 Dave Hinz wrote:
On 18 Nov 2005 07:27:17 -0800, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
Exactly Alex....there are very few "true" rights.
Gun ownership is not one of them.

It's the one that, if you live in the US, preserves the rest of your
rights. How long do you think you'd be free to disagree with the
government if the citizens were disarmed?

I think you've lost it, Dave. I'm quite free to disagree with my (UK) government
and neither I nor anyone I know owns a gun or is ever likely to.

Having seen various reports regarding censure for what British citizens
and businesses say; I would dispute that you are free to say what you want,
when you want freely in Britain. Your rules regarding what is considered
to be "harassing" speech or "offensive" speech -- particularly if one is a
business are becoming quite restrictive (not that the statists here in the
US are far behind in trying to make that happen -- try expressing
principals of Jeffersonian democracy or calling into question some of the
tenets of modern nanny-state protectionism on a college campus)

BTW, how are those restrictions on law abiding citizens working out over
there? Has it kept the criminal element from being any more dangerous? I
understand you've got somebody over there who is now seriously advocating
restricting the ability to own pointy kitchen knives.