Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey

Default OT dangerous dogs

alexy (in ) said:

| "Too_Many_Tools" wrote:
|
|| As I have said before, a right can be denied is a privilege.
|| Use a gun incorrectly and see how long your right remains intact.
|
| Cute semantic distinction, but I don't believe it is correct. What
| exactly do you think falls in the category of "rights" as you define
| the word? Some counter examples for you to ponder (at least making a
| distinction between how you want the word to be defined and how
| others use it) is the "certain inalienable rights" of life,
| liberty, and pursuit of happiness. Since we routinely deny felons
| of their liberty and pursuit of happiness, and occasionally of
| their lives, I guess our forefathers should have said "certain
| privileges" to meet your semantic benchmark?

Alex...

You're quoting from a document that set forth principles - not law.
It's the Constitution that attempts to codify those principles and
which clearly sets forth that keeping and bearing arms is a *right*
which may not be impaired or discontinued (look up /infringe/).

The Declaration of Independence is an interesting legacy. It's more
than an old "Up yours!" to King George: It's a statement of philosophy
and principles. It's also a quiet trap for those individuals who feel
that ordinary persons are unfit to share among themselves the powers
of self-government.

The Declaration sets forth, as a matter of principle, conditions
necessary and sufficient for replacement of an entire governmental
system. Because of this, it's an "orphan" document and has never had
legal standing of any kind - not with the Brits, and certainly not
within the American government.

Notwithstanding, it's the biggest elephant to ever sit in any corner.

Oh yes, I did allude to a trap aspect didn't I? The trap lies in the
obstacle posed to those who would abuse the powers granted them by the
Constitution and the citizenry: In order to usurp power, they must
first succeed in voiding the principles set forth in that simple
one-page document. It's a "soft" trap; but it gives the alarm to every
person who, in their heart of hearts, believes in those principles.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar