Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Graphite grease: yeild to lithium?

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:15:56 GMT, Bill Schwab
wrote:

Hello all,

In searching for graphite grease for my power feed, I couldn't help
notice that lithium based grease is much more readily available. Is
that perhaps because it is better than graphite?

Put another way, would you clean out the graphite and start using
Lithium grease, or order from the real thing from
http://www.graphitestore.com ?

Best Line wasn't terribly opinionated on the subject. They were
pleasant, but "sure, if the thickness is about the same" isn't really an
answer. Or is it?

Bill

The lithium in lithium base grease is soap and is the carrier for the
lubricant. Graphite is a lubricant. If the manual says to use graphite
then use it. If a lithium soap based grease with oil as the lubricant
dries out it means that the lubricant is gone and all that remains is
the soap. A graphite containing grease, if it dries out, will leave
the graphite behind. So even a dried out graphite grease will still
leave a high pressure lubricant behind.
ERS