Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gfulton

Default Material Recommendation?

"Nick Müller" wrote in message
Snag wrote:

snip

Bronce (not brass!) is always a good bearing material. But the stud
running in it has to be hard. Case hardening is a good solution, because
the hard skin doesn't have to be deep at all.

snip

HTH,
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de

You can't just use any bronze for making a bushing, right? I thought it had
to be Aluminum-Nickel-Bronze or similar. I thought some types of bronze
were too soft for bushings. I made a bushing for a friend once for his
tractor and the stock he brought me was used to machine knuckle bushings for
Boeing landing gear. Very hard stuff and was Aluminum-Nickel-Bronze. I
also made some bushings out of brass for another friend for the hinge pins
on the driver's side door on an old Camaro. He said they didn't last a year
before they wore through. So you're right that Brass is no good.