Bob Swinney

Default blue steel for carving tools?

Charles, why not start with material made for the task? Purchase
oil-hardening tool steel - it comes in rounds, as drill rod, or rectangular
shapes. It can be easily heat treated and resharpened as necessary. "Blue"
steel is a misnomer, although certain springs take on a blue color when heat
treated - this doesn't make them suitable for cutting tools. Do a net
search on heat treating, or similar.

Bob Swinney
"nativewoodcarving" wrote in message
Hi folks,

I am looking for a type of metal to make carving tools. I was told that
spring steel is the best and there is also one saying blue steel? What
actually is blue steel? For spring steel - would those leftspring from the
bottom of our truck for suspension works?

Thanks

Charles