Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Rob Horton

Default Laser Levels - any good

DavidM wrote:
I have a load of decorating (tiling and paper hanging) to do at mum in laws
house and was think about purchasing a not too expensive laser level that
can be used to mark vertical and horizontal straight lines on walls and
ceilings.
There seem to be quite a few in the diy sheds. Do they produce a thin enough
line for decent accuracy (2mm), and how easy are they for getting a true
vertical or horizontal? Any opinions or recommendations please?
David.

I tried a level from B&Q. Width of line was about 4mm. I had hoped for a
razor sharp accurate line. No such luck. A distant memory from the
optics section of my engineering degree suggests it's to do with the
"mode" of operation of the laser. Maybe a high quality laser gives a
finer line.

Alternatively, for a few pounds, buy some clear tubing from the local
DIY store that's at least 10mm diameter. Fill with water and make sure
that there are no air bubbles. The miniscus of the water at either end
will be at the same height. This system can go around corners, down
stairs and back up again etc.

Simple.