Posted to free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y
Andy Dingley

Default Laser Levels - any good

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 16:57:42 GMT, "DavidM"
wrote:

There seem to be quite a few in the diy sheds. Do they produce a thin enough
line for decent accuracy (2mm), and how easy are they for getting a true
vertical or horizontal?

They're pretty good. The sort with a beam-widening lens on the end of a
spot beam aren;t much good, as it's too hard to adjust the lens level.
They're really only for making a more visible horizontal marker when
adjust thin posts vertically.

The "flying spot" (whirling mirror) type is best for wallpapering. They
have a good "reach" and a very long usable line. Ideally they should be
self-levelling, some require manual levelling on a small bubble level.

The "projected cross" sort are best for tiling. They have a pendulum and
a pair of line-projector lights. The cross is easy to set up, but the
length of the useful line is relatively short (better in dim light) and
a bit shorter than ideal for wallpaper. I pai 50 quid for mine from
Screwfix and I notice they're now on offer at 30 quid from Axminster,
which is an excellent bargain.