Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Mark D. Zacharias

Default Technics SA5760

"jakdedert" wrote in message
mark wrote:
If their's only crackling on one side and everything else sounds ok
through the output not out of the headphone jack it can be a noisy
transistor if you have a scope check the driver of that channel for
noise. I don't know the specific receiver but this is a general check for
that type of problem.

Missed the OP, I guess. It blew. No output of any kind now. Initially
it acted as detailed...then went completely out. The relay doesn't kick
in, but no overload (front LED) indicator lit.

Thanks for the response. I was looking for detailed info on that
particular model. I have a scope. When I finally get my shop moved and
set back up again, I'll trace the sig through from front to back and do
detailed t'shooting. I was hoping for a quick fix....sigh

jak

There was a voltage regulator transistor, a 2SD313 or some such, that would
go bad on these. It was on the tone board, as I recall, but quite
accessible. You can see it back in there behind the power switch, right
there on the long horizontal board which runs almost the length of the front
panel. It's on a small heat sink. Didn't mention it before because it didn't
relate to any crackling, but it would explain no sound, and the protect
relay not coming on.

Mark Z.