Posted to alt.electronics
default

Default Solar Trickle Charge

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005 00:55:28 GMT, "west"
wrote:

I don't think so. They're the same large 12 batteries that have a steady
charge which lasts longer than a car battery. It's not designed to give a
huge initial surge current (to start a car or ?). More like regular
batteries that can take a charge. I wish I knew their name. I guess that's
why I posted in the first place.

west

You are describing a deep cycle battery. Designed to provide a lot of
amp hours of capacity, but not constructed to start a motor (although
they do that too - and can outlast regular car batteries)

I'm using a pair of Eagle Picher"Carefree" batteries (sealed
lead-acid) I've had since 1992 for hurricanes. They were made for
Minn Kota trolling motors and were sold as surplus. A pair of old 1
amp solar panels and a charge controller that was in the Amateur Radio
Handbook (shunt regulator built around a LM723).

I only run a TV, Radio, some lighting, and aquarium pumps with it.