Posted to rec.woodworking
George

Default best wood for shower bench

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
.net...
PipeDown wrote:
I want to build a simple bench for a custom shower. I priced out Teak
and found it to be very expensive and the stock more limited than other
species (at that lumber yard at least).

What else is new, but you don't need that much for a bench

I found African Mahogany and Philippine Mahogany at a reasonable price
(1/3 of Teak). Are these woods acceptable substitutes for Teak in a
steamy wet
environment.

IMHO, NO!

What other species can you recommend.

You could use sinker cypress, but you may not consider it low cost either.

Leave either the teak or the cypress natural, they need no finish.

Eastern white cedar would be my choice. Splinter resistance is as important
as rot resistance. Bullnose all the edges.