MP Toolman

Default Just got a used Miller XMT 300. What's needed for TIG?

I am not familiar with that particular machine, so I can't offer any specific
recommendations, but I do have a suggestion. For the type of work I do, I am
not normally comfortably seated at a welding bench so a foot pedal current
control is pretty much useless. I like the sloder control that mounts on the
torch handle. These are available as add-ons or as an assembly that replaces
the torch handle. I like the latter.

You certainly do not need water cooling to get started. Air copoled torches
are readily available. Torches are also available with an integrated gas valve
if your welding machine does not have a built in solenoid valve.

Mill

From: (chrisg)
Date: 7/13/2003 10:47 PM Eastern Daylight Time
I recently took a one day TIG workshop and used some really nice
Miller machines. Do I absolutely need a foot control and water
cooling? I'm trying to get into TIG as economically as possible
without sacrificing usability. I just have a basic XMT 300 with ground
cable and stick holder. How much will cost to convert to TIG?