Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag

Default Material Recommendation?

"Nick Müller" wrote:
Snag wrote:

The problem with bronze here is that these bushings get a lot of
shock loads as the wheel rides over the road .

It's not the bushing that has to resist elastic deformation, it's the
material _behind_ it.
Look how thin crank shaft bearings are.

Nick

Sure thing , and you're right . My cue was that the originals were steel
alloy . H-D had a reason for that ... so I'm doing it the way they did .
BTW , crank bearings are usually at least 2" diameter , and run with an
oil film . These are .674 and .699 diameter , and are greased . They also
only rotate about 10 degrees max , so the load is very concentrated .
I'll be posting some pics at alt.binaries.pictures.motorcycles.harley
later today of the old and the new .

--
Snag aka OSG #1