Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Karl Vorwerk

Default Material Recommendation?

I'm glad your rebuilding not restoring. While restorations are beautiful
it's better to ride them.
Karl

"Snag" wrote in message
news
Being the cheapskate that I am , I have decided to rework original
rather
than replace some of the parts on the 1939 H-D I'm rebuilding (not
"restoring" !) . Some of the parts I have decided to rework are the lower
rockers on the springer front end (where the wheel mounts ...). More to

the
point , I need to decide what to make the rocker bushings from . The
originals are steel , and just a bit softer than a knife blade . A file

will
mark it , but not deeply . The rocker studs seem to be mild steel , at

least
they machined easily . I am considering case hardening the wear surfaces

bushings are cheaper than studs .
The bushings will be about 1" OD X .875" long , with a wall thickness

of
either .150" or .165" , depending on which location they're in .
I have very limited experience with material selection (unless you want
to build some cabinets or a receptionist's desk ---) and have no idea what
alloy would be best for these bushings . Anybody care to venture an

opinion
?
I will be making some bearing cups to replace the ball bearings in the
steering neck with a tapered roller , and need some suggestions there also

..
Thanks !
--
Snag aka OSG #1