Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mobile 'phone in Screwfix box

Egremont wrote:
I ordered a small amount of TV stuff from good old Screwfix which came
yesterday.

My first suprise was a (big) extra box containing an electric tile cutter
which I hadn't ordered. I told Screwfix , they're collecting later and
kindly let me have 10 quid for my trouble. But my biggest suprise was yetto
come...

I opened the box with the TV bits and bobs to find a shiny 3G mobile phone
looking me in the eye. It was over the inner divider bit, not amongst the
bought stuff. It looks new and is a currently available model, value over
£300, though unboxed with no charger. You would think it probably came from
the Screwfix warehouse however there was a hole in the box big enough forit
to have got in (somehow) in transit. I told Screwfix, after some
deliberation they rang back and suggested that, because they have no way of
tracking it, that I deal with it 'at my discretion'.

I looked up instructions on the net but so far haven't been able to get into
it to see if it has an owner or even a SIMM card or whatever (it does look
new), it might be dead or locked (it only illuminates briefly when you hit
the 'photo button). I don't know if anyone like a phone shop would be able
to crack it open.

Any ideas what I should do?. At the moment I'm thinking of dropping into my
local constabulary for advice. I could just send it back to Screwfix but
then maybe I wouldn't get to keep it if there is no traceable owner.

Thanks,
Egremont.

Don't bother giving it to your local cop shop.

It could have fallen out of the pocket of a screwfix warehouse person
or was in another parcel which came open.
If it isn't new and someone has reported it missing then it will be
barred anyway. Otherwise you may as well use it or sell it.