Posted to uk.d-i-y
Egremont

Default Mobile 'phone in Screwfix box

I ordered a small amount of TV stuff from good old Screwfix which came
yesterday.

My first suprise was a (big) extra box containing an electric tile cutter
which I hadn't ordered. I told Screwfix , they're collecting later and
kindly let me have 10 quid for my trouble. But my biggest suprise was yet to
come...

I opened the box with the TV bits and bobs to find a shiny 3G mobile phone
looking me in the eye. It was over the inner divider bit, not amongst the
bought stuff. It looks new and is a currently available model, value over
£300, though unboxed with no charger. You would think it probably came from
the Screwfix warehouse however there was a hole in the box big enough for it
to have got in (somehow) in transit. I told Screwfix, after some
deliberation they rang back and suggested that, because they have no way of
tracking it, that I deal with it 'at my discretion'.

I looked up instructions on the net but so far haven't been able to get into
it to see if it has an owner or even a SIMM card or whatever (it does look
new), it might be dead or locked (it only illuminates briefly when you hit
the 'photo button). I don't know if anyone like a phone shop would be able
to crack it open.

Any ideas what I should do?. At the moment I'm thinking of dropping into my
local constabulary for advice. I could just send it back to Screwfix but
then maybe I wouldn't get to keep it if there is no traceable owner.

Thanks,
Egremont.