Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Default Material Recommendation?

Snag wrote:

A file will mark it , but not deeply . The rocker studs seem to be mild
steel , at least they machined easily . I am considering case hardening
the wear surfaces ... bushings are cheaper than studs .

Bronce (not brass!) is always a good bearing material. But the stud
running in it has to be hard. Case hardening is a good solution, because
the hard skin doesn't have to be deep at all.

I will be making some bearing cups to replace the ball bearings in the
steering neck with a tapered roller , and need some suggestions there also .
Thanks !

Free machining steel will do the job and help you in machining it.

HTH,
Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models