Posted to alt.home.repair
pdsmlebel

Default Help HRV or ERV System?

Hello,

I own a 15 years old house in New Brunswick Canada. I am currently looking
for a Heat Recovery Ventilator or Energy Recovery Ventilator and would like
some information before I make a move. Here is my problem.

The humidity in my house is way too high (at all time and everywhere). In
the summer, it
is about 70-75%, some days 80% and in the winter, about 55-60%. When very
cold, I get condensation
in my windows in the winter time but not all the time. I think that an air
exchanger would help my problem. However, I am not sure what kind of system
I should
get (HRV or ERV).

Living in a northern climate, people point me to an HRV. However, from what
I understand, this would only help in the winter time. If I understand it
correctly, the ERV would help all year around preventing humidity from
entering the house in the summer. I think it would also eliminate it in the
winter (not sure about that, would like to understand the concept better).
Any help to clarify the difference between those two systems would be real
nice.

I am also looking at the HEPA system. Currently considering the Venmar HEPA
3000
(HRV) or Venmar HEPA 4000 (ERV).

I am also wondering if it is at all possible to hook this with a
dehumidifier (if yes, which one) or an A/C.

I have a two story house with a basement (three story with basement) with
about 2800 square feet of living space. I use electric base boards to heat
it all.

Any information would be very much appreciated.