Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert11

Default New Water Heater: Supplied With Energy Restriction Perhaps ? Also, Question On Inlet Valve For

Hi,

On the inlet cold water pipe to the typical cylindrical, vertical, gas
fired hot water heater:

Are most plumbed in with a globe valve, so the water to it can be completely
shut off ?

I saw a diagram where they said to use a gate valve.
This doesn't make much sense to me, as although a gate valve would allow a
consideably greater flow thru it when wide open (less p drop), the globe
style allows for a full shutoff, if needed.

Our new water heater seems to have a lesser flow thru it than our old one of
ten yrs ago.
Wife is quite upset.
On looking thru the web, I came across this gate valve picture.

So, which style is commonly used for this application, these days ?

Also, are these new heaters supplied with any kind of "Energy-Saving"
restriction like so many newer shower heads ? Any thoughts on why the
thruput flow might be lower on the newer one (same size, different mfg.) ?

Thanks,
Bob