Posted to alt.home.repair
Greg O

Default advice on career in small engine repair

wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm considering a career in small engine repair. I would appreciate any
advice. I'm most concerned if there is steady work in this field and if
it offers some fairly challenging work. I know it only pays from
$10/hr. to 18/hr. We get a fair amount of snow in the winter. Will this
affect how much work there is in the winter? Is this field affected a
lot by downturns in the economy? Thanks in advance for advice.

Been there, done that! do yourself a favor and get a real job, with a pay
check, insurance, and a 401K plan. I did and I can afford to eat everyday
now!

You mention snow, do you get decent snow, EVERY year?? The year with little
snow mean pretty much zero money. When I had my shop I would hire 2-3 guys
in the spring, and lay them all off in the fall. I would be lucky in the
winter time to have any work at all, to being absolutely swamped in the
spring. Any profits made in the summer paid off the loss in the winter, so
at best I broke even.
All shops my area are all in the same boat.
Greg