Posted to alt.electronics
Dan Hollands

Default Solar Trickle Charge

For solar cell recharging systems check out boating suppliers BoatUS or West
Marine. They are commonly used to keep boat batteries topped up. Since main
cost is the cell there is little reason to try build your own circuit

Car Batteries should work ok for what you want to do.

Dan

--
Dan Hollands
1120 S Creek Dr

www.QuickScoreRace.com
"west" wrote in message
I know this question has probably been beaten to death, nevertheless I hope
you will still indulge me.

During a power outage, which occurs frequently in Florida, I would like to
use a battery to power some communication gear. Although the battery is
12v
and not 13.8v, I think that the gear will still work OK (hopefully).

Question 1. I believe that car batteries have a low internal resistance
because their primary function is to provide a lot of current for a short
time. There are other 12v large battery types that will last as long as a
typical car battery. They are designed not to provide peak current, but to
supply steady state current for a long time.
For the life of me, I can't remember the name of those type batteries so I
can't do a google to find a supplier. I hope this is making some sense.

Question 2. Where can I find articles & schematics for a solar cell to
provide a trickle charge for the aforementioned battery?

Thank you very much.

Cordially,
west