Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Foster

Default Which Style Drill Bits to Buy? / Opinions on Craftsman Drill Bits?

"Boris Mohar" wrote in message

Don't buy the cheapest ones you could find like my father used to. I am
keeping this to remind me. The whole 99cent set was like that.

http://www.viatrack.ca/Misc/DRILBIT.jpg

--

Boris Mohar

I have one that's better than that. I picked up a cheap set some years
back, twist drills and brad-point (wood drills). I was using a brad point
in the drill press making some pilot holes in a piece of hard wood. All of
a sudden, it quit drilling... Upon closer examination, it had literally
"unwound" the flutes and "wound" them in the opposite direction for half the
length of the bit... I think I still have the damned thing around
somewhere... I call it a "bit for a reversable drill...

Sorry I don't have a picture of it.

Jerry

As an aside... Small drills in a hand-held drill WILL break. The problem
is that you end up putting a side load on it. I drill with the mill, if at
all possible, on the little stuff.