Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Default maybe OT, insurance?

Jon Elson wrote:

wrote:

Hi, Grant.
Perhaps the reason you can't find the insurance you want is telling you
something. You need to listen. What is the reason you think you need
insurance?

Unless you protect your personal assets by forming an LLC or Sub-S
corporation and working for that corporation, no amount of insurance
will protect your personal assets from liability. The problem is not
working out of your home. You need to spend a little money and talk to
a business attorney, a CPA, and then an insurance agent that deals in
business insurance.

I taslked to my lawyer about this when I set up my company 19 years
ago. We went over the benefits of incorporating, and he said that in the
special case where the entire corporation is really *ME*, the corporation
really gives no protection. If somebody sues the corporation because
he got hurt, had a fire, whatever stupid excuse he can come up with,
he CAN collect my property. This stuff very likely varies from state to
state, I'm in MO. The advice he gave me was tailored to the laws here.

Jon

The only real insurance is to have such a mortgage on your place and
liens against you that any lawyer would know that there was no money to
be had and would then throw the client out of his office.

Insurance is a lawyer magnet.
John