Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Pressure gauge repair?

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:43:15 -0500, "Jack Hayes"
wrote:

wrote in message
roups.com...
Does anyone know how to adjust mechanical pressure gauges? I tried to
fix one this morning and couldn't get the pointer to rest right at the
peg. I repeatedly moved the Bourdon tube carefully until the sector ran
off the pinion in the low-pressure direction, moved the pointer about
90 degrees backward, then let the sector re-engage. The zero would land
slightly on either side of the peg. This 30PSI gauge had been
over-pressured to possibly 50, so maybe I should have readjusted it by
squeezing the bent link that connects the tube and sector gear but I
want to ask before doing this. I don't have a puller for the hand.

TIA
Jim Wilkins

A pointer puller would be a nice small machining project.

I just made one a couple weeks ago. I used 1/2 dia brass and knurled
it. Turned down one end to about 1/4. Drilled and tapped for 10-32.
The tap drill for 10-32 is slightly larger than the largest diameter
of the needle hub. I then cut two notches in the business end. One
slot perpendicular to the puller axis and the other on the puller
axis. Used a 10-32 screw with the end turned down to just a couple
thousandts under the needle shaft dia to pull the needle. Worked great
and took all of 15 minutes to make.
ERS