DoN. Nichols

Default Lathe Suggestions

In article ,
Gunner wrote:
On 13 Jul 2003 14:01:07 -0400, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

I've now finally gotten compressed air, so I may make up some
pistons for the pipes to use as stock feed devices, so I don't have to
stop the spindle to feed stock. Just add a foot switch -- and keep the
PVC leaky enough so it won't develop full pressure, perhaps with an
intentional leak at the end of stroke.

Enjoy,
DoN.

If you are running a turret, its very very easy to make a parts
Puller, rather than a pusher and you can simply make up a number of
pullers for various sized stock. The advantage of a puller over a
pnuematic or hydraulic pusher really comes into play with small
diameter stock.

I thought that the pullers were better in an ASM or perhaps a
CNC with turret -- with some way to activate them automatically. I
don't see a way of activating one on my turret. (And aside from that,
I'm already using all six stations on the turret, with the feed stop
running double duty as a center drill.)

1) Stop/center drill

2) Knurl OD

3) Box tool to reduce a portion of the OD

4) Geometric die head to thread un-knurled portion of the OD

5) Drill for tap

6) Tap

(then to the carriage for grooving at the base of the thread and
parting off while I break the edges with a file.) Next setup I'll be
using one of the multi-tool Aloris holders so I can do the parting of
the current one and the grooving of the next in a single pass.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |