Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default Garage furnace...can't light pilot

wrote:
I have an overhead gas blower furnace in the garage. I had it
serviced last winter when the transformer fried.

Trying to fire it up for the first time this year, and the pilot won't
light.

I'm sure that the gas supply valve is open.

I thought maybe I just need to wait for the air to purge after opening
the valve, but I held the pilot button down for about 5 minutes, and
it still won't light.

Should I hear a hiss or smell gas, or the amount involved in a pilot
too small?

You may want to backtrack and see if there is another valve that is shut
off. Maybe you shut a valve off when you thought you were opening it.

BTW for most of this worlds population the sniff test should be enough.
For me, after years of sinus infection and hay fever, I can't count on it.
:-)

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit