Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT

Default Garage furnace...can't light pilot

wrote:

I have an overhead gas blower furnace in the garage. I had it
serviced last winter when the transformer fried.

Trying to fire it up for the first time this year, and the pilot won't
light.

I'm sure that the gas supply valve is open.

I thought maybe I just need to wait for the air to purge after opening
the valve, but I held the pilot button down for about 5 minutes, and
it still won't light.

Are you following the instructions for how to light it?

E.g., with some (most? all?) you need to press the pilot "button"
_while_ you try to light it (with e.g. a match), and continue to
hold it down once lit until the bimetal valve heats up and it can
sustain itself.

Should I hear a hiss or smell gas, or the amount involved in a pilot
too small?

After 5 minutes, I would have thought you would smell it. But I
haven't always smelled it immediately. People's noses differ.