Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Default Tool ReReview - Refurb Delta Unisaw - Part Three

Greg G. said:

Frank Boettcher said:

You talked about tearing the saw completely down, if you do make sure
that you clamp the assembly tightly, silmultaneously on both sides
before you torque the trunion bracket bolts down.

I never tighten anything down on cast-iron without an alternating,
graduated sequence - seen to many failures from guys running down a
bolt with an air tool. With a steel floating sleeve cylinder in a
cast-iron block with an aluminum head - you have to _very_careful with
your torque sequences. ;-)
I'm just paranoid that way....

Don't know if I'll go ALL the way down, just far enough to make it
tight. Got any torque specs on the fasteners?

Incidentally, just so you don't think I didn't notice what you said
while I was rambling on about other nonsense, I assume you meant that
the trunnions and arbor support assembly should be held securely
together, as in clamped from front to rear, and evenly on both sides
before tightening the trunnion to cabinet bolts? Is this correct?

I am assuming this is necessary to prevent excessive play in the
trunnion slides, and to possibly prevent the entire arbor/motor
assembly from falling out. I haven't checked the total clearances
available here, so the latter may be impossible.

Thanks, Frank.

Greg G.