Posted to rec.woodworking
Greg G.

Default Chicken Soup for the woodworking soul - Recipe

Swingman said:

"Greg G." wrote in message

I used a similar formula/recipe (accumulated proceeds from eBay sales)
to fund my latest acquisitions - the clamps I thought I would never
own - the Bessy-K 25/50 pairs from LV. I'll let you know what they
taste like - next January... sob

Looks like the local Rockler is fixing to have their 40% off sale on
Bessey's, and I could always use a couple more 24 inchers ...

Speaking of Bessey's, are they really that good? I've been using pipe
clamps and aluminum bar clamps, by always have the problem of having
to stagger them side to side to avoid bowing - and even with cawls,
it's a PITA doing wide panel glue-ups.

"Fixing to" - an expression I use and the better half makes fun of.
Must be a southern thing... But she is from Pennsylvania, and has far
more of a "southern accent' than I possess. So, go figure...

BTW, it's "Starrett" - you may have gotten a Chinese rip-off if
there's only one T. g Since mine are nearly 28 years old, and are
from another era/life, I could be wrong about that... g

Heretofore they've been far to high cla$$ for my blood, so I haven't learned
the correct spelling. Hell, I only just learned how to pronounce "Leigh" a
few years ago.

Yeah, I know what you mean. I _never_ would have bought Starrett's
for woodworking purposes, but since they're just laying around...

My favorite pocket tool tends to be a fractional inch/mm dial caliper
from Highland Hardware, and a nylon version bought from Lowes on
closeout for 'less critical' things.

And if'n it's any consolation - I _still_ don't know how to pronounce
it.

But I still marvel at their workmanship and quality - as with the
Veritas sliding bevel gauge I received for Christmas last year.

Know what you mean .. my Veritas low angle block plane is indeed a thing of
great beauty.

I don't have a nice selection of planes just yet. Only an old fettled
Made In USA Stanley block plane and some cabinet scrapers. Had nice
jack and smoothing planes _years_ ago, but someone decided they needed
them more than I.

And kudos for a post that doesn't involve trolls, kooks, politics, or
a myriad of other agitating topics.

In retrospect it was kinda of a stupid post, but damn if it hasn't looked
like a wasteland of kooks, blind leading the blind, and ****heads around
here lately, so it fits right in.

Nothing stupid about it at all...
Noticed you've not been as active the last few days, figured it was a
big new project - or the other...

The Mother of All Pointy Sticks was an interesting but OT thread. g

Greg G.