Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Default Which Style Drill Bits to Buy? / Opinions on Craftsman Drill Bits?

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 17:39:17 GMT, "JWho" wrote:

Has anyone had experience with Craftsman brand drill bits? I bought a
30-piece Black & Decker drill bit set for $10 from Wal-Mart a few years
back. At the time, I didn't have ANY drill bits, so I was glad just to have
SOME drill bits. I am not happy with how well they have worked (some
broke), so since then, I just went to Sears and bought a single bit in the
size I needed. I bought one "cobalt" style drill bit, and it went through a
hard steel pipe pretty quick! Well, it is time to quit playing 1sies-2sies
and to just buy a whole set. They have 3 different 29 piece (1/16" - 1/2",
by 1/64" sizes). Black Oxide is $60. Titanium Nitride is $90 and Cobalt is
$100. I am thinking about buying the $100 set of 29 cobalt drill bits. I
would just use those for hard metal.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...site=CRAFT#tab

Besides that set, I was thinking about getting a $60 set of black oxide
drill bits. I was planning to use those for for wood, plastic or soft
metal.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...site=CRAFT#tab

Does anyone care to share their experience with Craftsman drill bits, or
experience as to which set of bits I should buy/not buy? If it helps, my
drill is a cordless 14.4 volt Craftsman, and I use it maybe once a week.

Thanks!

From what I understand..the drill bit set..letter, number and
fractional, thats being sold at Costco for $49 or so..is a pretty
decent set. Several machine shop maint. department have bought them
and are quite happy with them.

Gunner who knows that many of the exact same make, model and type of
tool sells at both sears and HF..and usually for 1/2-1/3 at HF

"The importance of morality is that people behave themselves even if
nobody's watching. There are not enough cops and laws to replace
personal morality as a means to produce a civilized society. Indeed,
the police and criminal justice system are the last desperate line of
defense for a civilized society. Unfortunately, too many of us see
police, laws and the criminal justice system as society's first line
of defense." --Walter Williams