Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
JWho

Default Which Style Drill Bits to Buy? / Opinions on Craftsman Drill Bits?

Has anyone had experience with Craftsman brand drill bits? I bought a
30-piece Black & Decker drill bit set for $10 from Wal-Mart a few years
back. At the time, I didn't have ANY drill bits, so I was glad just to have
SOME drill bits. I am not happy with how well they have worked (some
broke), so since then, I just went to Sears and bought a single bit in the
size I needed. I bought one "cobalt" style drill bit, and it went through a
hard steel pipe pretty quick! Well, it is time to quit playing 1sies-2sies
and to just buy a whole set. They have 3 different 29 piece (1/16" - 1/2",
by 1/64" sizes). Black Oxide is $60. Titanium Nitride is $90 and Cobalt is
$100. I am thinking about buying the $100 set of 29 cobalt drill bits. I
would just use those for hard metal.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...site=CRAFT#tab

Besides that set, I was thinking about getting a $60 set of black oxide
drill bits. I was planning to use those for for wood, plastic or soft
metal.

http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...site=CRAFT#tab

Does anyone care to share their experience with Craftsman drill bits, or
experience as to which set of bits I should buy/not buy? If it helps, my
drill is a cordless 14.4 volt Craftsman, and I use it maybe once a week.

Thanks!