Pete Becker

Default Sears air compressor starting problem

Brian Lawson wrote:

Why would a larger capacity circuit breaker allow a motor to start
instead of stalling? I don't think so. Just lets the "stall"
continue for a few more seconds.

It's not just the breaker, it's the wiring to the outlet. The higher
capacity means bigger wires, so less voltage drop in the feedwires for
the same current. That gives a little more oomph when starting.

Still, the right answer is probably:

The compressor needs to start "unloaded", and it seems to do that OK
with zero pressure in the system. It seems apparent to me that the
compressor unloading valve is not working when the control opens at
the high pressure set-point. So it traps the high pressure air in the
compressor cylinder and keeps it on BDC, thereby stalling the motor.

--

"To delight in war is a merit in the soldier,
a dangerous quality in the captain, and a

"Bring them on."
George W. Bush