Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
jdk

Default Installing a bathroom exhaust fan and the proper way to ventit...

wrote:
" I would want to see "the code" that says this.
I think a lot of people are confusing the hack job of pointing the end
of
the ducting into a vented soffit, with the proper installation which is
run the duct out *through* the soffit terminating with a grill or
louvered
vent cap. "

I agree!

i have a 1962 built ranch in cols ohio. the above is what i did when
i replaced a bath fan. put the metal pipe about 1/2" or more past the
original wood soffit. it has vinyl soffit over that. i then used the
vent soffit over the pipe. next vent opening 2 to 3 feet away. my only
question is when i did this the old fan had no vented piping at all.
just emptied into the attic. there was no damage over the last 30 plus
years. so if the attic has good ventilation you may not have to worry
which way you go depending on you climate?