Posted to alt.home.repair
Gino F.

Default Above Ground Pool strategies for winter survival in the Northeast....

That sounds so wrong.

I just installed a replacement liner 3 years ago.
Stretching the liner is a no no.

The only way I'd have done this is to
take all the water out of the pool then rehang the liner.
If the liner is already stretched I'd say it's too late now.

Yeah, I know it sounds wrong, but it really was only off by an inch or
three... This pool was already in rough shape when I bought the house.
It isn't a necessarily old pool, but the previous owners didn't take
care of it at all. I don't expect it to survive much longer, besides,
aren't liners supposed to be replaced every so often anyway?

If the sides of your pool are moving, that would explain why the liner
came off.

Exactly.

I have a 24', I paid extra for heavy duty pool walls and I hang the cover
over the pool frame, not the pool walls. There is no amount of snow
that would move the pool walls. Well, maybe a glacier. I don't expect
a glacier for a few years.

I can't picture this... the way my round above ground is configured it
has something like 10 or 12 uprights with coping that sits on top of
the uprights. The wall is aluminum and is fastened only to the top of
the uprights. The wall is away from some of the uprights and the pool
guy told me it's also split in one spot. He told me that the wall
won't be usable if I took down the pool and replaced the liner. He
might just be trying to sell me a pool but who knows, it really ****es
me off how the previous owners neglected this thing.

Next year, get a face mask and spend some time examining the pool
bottom and sides for holes. You should be able to see them if they
are there.

How do you spot the holes? Do you actually have to see the tear or
look for bubbling or what?

Don't you think I'd be losing water during the season more noticeably
if these holes were the actual cause of losing 6" over 2 months?

Thanks for your help Dan,