Posted to alt.home.repair,alt.building.construction
BP

Default Straightening twisted floor joists?

wrote in message
ups.com...
There are about 3 joists where movement is more than an inch. On the
worst one, the sliding has pulled the gusset right off the joint (the
opposite side joist is still straight). The worst areas are around the
duct work spaces where no X bracing or anything was ever installed.

It's also worse on the side that correlates with the front half of the
house. Might be that there has always been more furniture on that side,
or that the snow weight has been heavier as it's the north side of the
house and the south side of the roof rarely gets snow buildup because
the sun melts it, I don't know.

Of the rest, about 1/3rd have movement from between 1/2 to an inch, 1/3
are a 1/2 inch or less, and the last 3rd are pretty much straight.

I'm mostly worried about the 3 bad ones, and about keeping the others
from getting that bad.

Liz

"There are about 3 joists where movement is more than an inch. "

What!?! You've got to be exaggerating just a little! Are the joists made of
balsa wood? I have seen 2x6 floors stiffer than that. Do you have a 300
pound linebacker jumping on the floor? How are you measuring the deflection?

You need to get some toe nails into the beam. And install the fireblocking.
Can't hurt, might help. The bridging sounds like the real problem. That
metal crap does nothing. I bet you will see the most noticeable improvement
when you get the new bridging installed.